Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 9

Tea door number 9 was Organic Hot Lips, what a fun name, I was excited to try it. This organic green tea is made of cinnamon, safflower, pink peppercorn and chili pepper. I love spices and hot stuff, so I knew I would love this tea.



It tasted exactly like liquid cinnamon hearts…this is instantly one of my new favourites, the flavour is massive.



So here is the catch, when I was a little girl I loved cinnamon hearts, gum, hot lips candy, even loved the taste of cinnamon toothpaste - I couldn’t get enough. One Valentine’s Day I had a bag of cinnamon hearts. A couple of hours later my mouth was on fire, my lips swelled up like Angelina Jolie’s – now I am sure you are thinking, that would not be a bad thing but it hurt so much! Apparently because I had cinnamon so often I developed an allergy to it. Luckily I can still have natural cinnamon, just not artificial.

The strange thing is I met a girl at a Christmas party last week that is so allergic she goes into anaphylactic shock if she encounters any type of cinnamon. She also developed this allergy to cinnamon because of “overexposure” – she worked at pretzel maker and mixed the cinnamon daily when making the pretzels and then worked at a bakery and was constantly in contact with cinnamon and breathing it in. Over time it got very serious.

So the moral of the story is, if you really love something, do not have too much of it as over time you just might develop an allergy and never get to have it again.
Today I decided to try a little experiment…I savoured every drop of this delicious tea (even though it contains cinnamon hearts) and I am hoping for the best. It has been about 10 years since I last had artificial cinnamon…fingers crossed. Wouldn't it be a miracle if I could enjoy the cinnamon flavour and not have an allergic reaction afterwards :) I will update this blog later to let you know how it goes, so far so good but it has only been a few minutes since I finished the cup. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update 8 hours later...



Well it's official...I'm still allergic to cinnamon....my mouth was on fire all day and my tongue felt burnt, the feeling when you burn your mouth on hot soup..not very fun. This tea was so delicious it was worth it to try it but I don't want to have the allergy effects for a full day every time I want a cup of it. For those of you that are lucky enough to not have an allergy to cinnamon, I would highly recommend you indulge on this tea often...I love it so much :(

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I totally feel you! I used to love cinnamon hearts, cinnamon gum & cinnamon toothpaste. Then one day I noticed that every morning I would get this weird rash around my chin... and figured out it was from my cinnamon toothpaste. And any time I would chew cinnamon gum or eat cinnamon hearts, it felt like my throat was suuuuuuuuuper dry and I would just get this weird feeling... all the way down to my stomach. And so I stopped eating/using those things for a few years. Then I bought some cinnamon chai rooibos from DT & the same thing happened... and I felt super weird for the rest of the day. I didn't even try the tea out yesterday because I figured I would have the same reaction.. bummer. :( But real cinnamon I'm totally okay with!

    Haha that was a novel of a comment! Point is, I'm glad that someone else has it & it's not just me. ;) hahaha. We can drink our sorrows away with a mug of cocomint cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sorry to hear you also have an allergy to it. It sure is torture to love a flavour so much and not be able to enjoy it. If only real cinnamon tasted as good as artificial cinnamon, I would be hooked ;) It is nice to know that I am not the only one in this predicament, even thought it sucks that you can't have this delicious tea either.
    Yum, cocomint cream, that is one of my new favourites, thankfully, we are not allergic to that kind :)

    ReplyDelete